Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success. Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas.
WHY JOIN UMOJA?
Umoja students receive specialized support, including:
- Free books for Umoja classes
- Free food, supplies and transportation assistance
- Dedicated counseling support
- Professional networking opportunities
- Community building events and field trips
- Graduate and/or transfer support, including guidance on new HBCU transfer agreements