WHAT IS UMOJA LEARNING COMMUNITY?
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a learning community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of Black/African American and other students.
We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success.
Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas.
WHY JOIN UMOJA?
Umoja students receive specialized support, including:
- Free books for Umoja classes
- Free food, supplies and transportation assistance
- Dedicated counseling support
- Opportunities for scholarships and grants
- Professional networking opportunities
- Community building events and field trips
- Graduate and/or transfer support, including guidance on new HBCU transfer agreements